Immediate Supervisor Title: Clinical Director
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: None
General Summary: A nonexempt position responsible for assisting nursing staff with basic care of patients, patient flow, and general clinical duties under the direction of the charge nurse.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Helps nurse to gather medical history information including obtaining information from various hospital and laboratory systems.
- Rooms patients in the office, takes weight and vital signs; obtains history from the patient and documents in the medical record
- Accurately enters patient’s medications and allergies on the medication list and keeps them current.
- Helps stock department equipment and supplies
- Takes phone messages for the department
- Assist physicians with procedures (i.e. Sigmoidoscopy)
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School diploma. Completion of Certified Medical Assistant Program. Ongoing maintenance of certification is required.
Experience: Minimum two years of experience as a medical assistant.
- Basic nursing skills
- Knowledge of ways to help nurses and physicians in office setting and to maintain a safe work environment
- Knowledge of practice management, hospital and laboratory computer systems
- Basic medical terminology
- Skill in appropriately taking vital signs and weights
- Skill in maintaining a clutter-free, organized exam area
- Skill in using electronic medical records to check patient history.
- Skill in operating the office telephone system
- Respond flexibly to changing workload or patient assignments
- Use department supplies and equipment in a cost-efficient, effective manner
- Communicate effectively as a health care team member
- Perform duties of a medical assistant competently
Equipment Operated: Telephone system at medical practice. Computer hardware/software for access to patient history and medical information databases.
Work Environment: Office setting, well lighted, good air quality. Direct contact with patients.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment. Manual dexterity to perform data entry into the electronic medical record.