Job Title: Medical Billing/Coding Specialist
Immediate Supervisor Title: Billing Manager
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: None
General Summary: A nonexempt position responsible for processing and managing all billable services.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Coding and data entry of all billable charges per established procedures.
- Production of electronic and paper claims to insurance plans.
- Processing of patient statements according to practice protocols.
- Data entry and verification of insurance.
- Accurately apply patient and insurance payments.
- Insurance accounts receivable follow up. This would include investigating denied, underpaid and overpaid claims and doing appeals.
- Reconcile customer disputes as they pertain to payment of outstanding balances that are due. Provide excellent & considerate customer service to patients.
- Take accountability for personal productivity and quality output.
- Any other tasks required to continue or maintain the billing process.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent, some college preferred.
Certified Coder a plus
Experience: Minimum of two years billing experience in a health care organization. Previous experience in medical billing, coding and collection activities.
Gastroenterology billing experience a plus.
Other Requirements: None
- Knowledge of billing policies and procedures for multi-physician specialty practice.
- Knowledge of practice operating policies.
- Knowledge of insurances and third party billing
- Knowledge of ICD 10 and CPT-4 coding.
- Proficient skills in computer programs including medical management software, Allscripts a plus.
- Skill in computer and spreadsheet applications.
- Skill in effective oral and written communication.
- Ability to read, understand and explain insurance EOBs
- Skill in using a calculator.
- Navinet, Availity, UHC Link, CHP Experience
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations.
- Ability to read and interpret medical charts.
- Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with others.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with patients, physicians, managers and other staff.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephones, calculators, etc.
Work Environment: Position is in a well-lighted office environment.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment. Manual dexterity using calculator.