Extraordinary People, Exceptional Care
Job Title: Scheduler
Department: Front Office
Immediate Supervisor Title: Scheduling Manager
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: None
General Summary: A nonexempt position responsible for making appointments for patient procedures and office visits.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Schedules appointments for patients by telephone or at the check-out desk.
- Uses computerized system to match physician/clinician availability with patient’s preferences in terms of date and time.
- Maintains scheduling system so records are accurate and complete and can be used to analyze patient/staffing patterns.
- Ensures that updates (e.g., cancellations or additions) are input daily into master schedule.
- Communicates as needed with physicians/clinicians and other staff about any patient concerns/issues related to scheduling. Consults with practice manager about any system problems.
- Uses customer service principles and techniques to deal with patients calmly and pleasantly.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma.
Experience: Minimum one year of experience in an appointment scheduling position, preferably in a medical practice setting.
Other Requirements: None
- Knowledge of medical practice protocols related to scheduling appointments.
- Knowledge of computerized scheduling systems.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and techniques.
- Skill in communicating effectively with physicians/clinicians about scheduling preferences.
- Skill in maintaining master appointment schedule via computerized means.
- Ability to multitask effectively, dealing with phone calls, in-office patients, staff, and others pleasantly.
- Ability to communicate calmly and clearly with patients about appointments in all circumstances including when they are ill or have an emergency.
- Ability to analyze situations and respond appropriately.
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment with emphasis on computer hardware and software as well as telephone.
Work Environment: Medical office or reception area. Exposure to communicable diseases and other conditions related to clinic setting.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Mostly sedentary with some standing, walking, reaching.