Immediate Supervisor Title: Clinical Director
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: None
General Summary: A nonexempt position responsible for providing triage (sorting/prioritizing patients) telephone service to ensure prompt identification of patients with low to high-risk conditions and for providing care to patients.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Evaluates and assesses patients health care needs based on patients signs and symptoms, utilizing established triage protocols and guidelines.
2. Monitors and responds to triage calls in person or on the nurse phone line.
3. Demonstrates critical thinking that results in good decision making and appropriate actions to obtain desired outcomes.
4. Communicates and collaborates with the patient and patient’s representatives and medical team to promote optimal and realistic goals and outcomes.
5. Determines urgency and necessity of an appointment based on a clinical assessment of a patient’s condition and history.
6. Access of hospital and laboratory systems with application of appropriate clinical information for the clinical care of the patient.
7. Documents in the electronic health record (EHR), triage assessment, plan, implementation and evaluation, follow-up.
8. Consults with physician regarding medication adjustments, and other patient issues which do not require an office appointment.
9. Ability to understand and deliver results to patients.
10. Utilizes approved prescription refill protocols to take action on patient requests for medication refill(s) as an agent of the provider.
11. Prioritizes work tasks and completes tasks in a timely manner.
12. Provides patient education regarding disease processes, therapies and health conditions.
13. Reduce conflict and increase patient satisfaction whenever possible through timely response to patient calls.
14. Administers medications and performs nursing procedures as ordered within the scope of practice.
15. Maintains patient confidentiality of personal and medical information.
Education: RN or LPN degree; On-the-job training in triage.
Experience: Minimum three years of experience as RN/LPN; one to two years of telephone triage experience, preferably in medical practice setting. Gastroenterology preferred, but not required.
Other Requirements: Current state RN/LPN license.
1. Knowledge of telephone-based clinical assessment techniques.
2. Knowledge of medical practice telephone triage protocols.
1. Skill in using electronic medical records to check patient history.
2. Skill in using computerized medical information database during evaluation as guide to appropriate decision.
3. Skill in assessment and prioritization of patient conditions and complaints.
1. Ability to communicate clearly and calmly with patient.
2. Ability to elicit information needed to make brief evaluation.
3. Ability to work closely with physicians and other clinicians as needed.
Equipment Operated: Telephone system at medical practice. Computer hardware/software for access to patient history and medical information databases.
Work Environment: Office setting, well lighted, good air quality. Occasional direct contact with patients.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Mostly sedentary position. Hand/arm injury possible from repetitive movements. High volume of calls.